Wednesday 27 July 2016

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH ONYINYE ETONIRU ON:MEET THE SPECTACULARS!!!




Hi! everyone, sit back, relax and read as Onyinye Etoniru shares her thought on many personal areas.

Please introduce yourself to our readers on Inside Lekki Ajah.

I’m Onyinye Etoniru, the last born in a family of three from the eastern part of Nigeria, precisely Anambra State. I had my primary education at Bereton Montessori School and went ahead to Igbinedion Education Centre for my secondary education.

I have a BSc. in Estate Management with a first class honours from the University of Lagos and a Master’s degree in International Management from Henley Business School in the United Kingdom. I am currently working as an associate in a real estate investment firm. 

I am a business adventurous entrepreneur, author of the popular book ‘the journey of a higher life’ and an organizational design and development consultant for startups, SME’s and large corporations with experience in organizational design, change management, value-chain management, brand advisory, retail advisory, executive leadership coaching, designing operational models and processes, human resource management and strategic planning.

Prior to Business School, I founded Truekolours Hub, a learning hub for young leaders and women entrepreneurs which use education and innovation as a tool to solving Africa’s leadership challenge. A mentor to many young girls and women via True Jewels for Christ (TJFC), an online social platform and book club for young girls and women teaching life and home management from God’s perspective. Have interests in green business advocacy, entrepreneurship and contributing to the educational sector in Africa. Love cooking, travelling, reading, writing and adventure.

Journey to your chosen career


I’ve always been interested in owning my own business, right from a very young age. Whilst in School, when I was a teenager, after conversations with people they would conclude that I am a business minded person. Growing up, I read lots of business books, few authored by Richard Branson and Donald Trump. It inspired my interest in being an entrepreneur and managing global brands. After my undergraduate degree graduating with a first class and the best student in my department, my interest for International Business increased and I was determined to follow my heart to learn more about it. 

Also, I remember one day, after my National Youth Service Corps(NYSC), I went with my Dad for a business meeting and in my mind, I had a myriad of ideas I wanted to implement, and put certain things in place in my Dad’s company at Port- Harcourt. I knew what I wanted to do, but I didn’t have the answer to the ‘how’. I made up my mind right then, that I needed to go to business school cause of the passion I had to change a lot of things I felt could be better. In reality, having big dreams is not enough; you’ll need the right information in form of knowledge and network to propel the realisation of those dreams.

Against popular opinion, I went ahead to study International Management at Henley Business School in the UK , to do that, I had to reject a job offer at a prominent bank in Lagos. Thanks to my parents for their support and for allowing me to follow my dreams after much persuasion as it eventually became one of the best decisions I have made in my lifetime. In the course of my study, I fell in love with organisational design which was one of the courses I did. This endeared my interest to the field of consulting. On my return to Nigeria, I started a career in organisational design and development; not like I knew so much about its practicability but I like to read. So I started reading, engaging my knowledge and experience in Business School, researching and building a resource bank for this new career path I had created for myself. My brother was going to start a relocation company so I told him that I would help him design the company. I went ahead to create the operational process for the relocation company and the brand elements.

Doing this, I found out it was one of the things I had done in my life that I did with so much ease and then I further discovered that I enjoyed helping businesses in that line. He was so impressed with what I delivered and that spurred my confidence to grow my career in this path. I’ve always been extremely good at organising things, people and events. So I was absolutely glad that I could utilise and maximise one of my strengths following this career path. 
A few months later, when he was going to start another branch of the family company, a leading Real Estate firm in Lagos; I came in as a consultant and redesigned the whole structure, HR policy, organisational profile, strategic plan and branding. Also initiated a new set of values and culture in alignment with the company strategy. I also handled the human resource recruitment, training and policy development and implementation for the company. Going forward, I’ve never looked back as this has opened up more opportunities for me in other companies consulting on organisational design and development. I currently work for a real estate investment firm as an Associate where I also engage my skill in organisational development.
My interest in this career path is to help SME’s and startups create sustainable processes, operational structures and brands that can compete globally and design businesses for the future that are built to last with respect for people and the planet. Whilst for larger corporations, to successfully initiate models and support, managing change through their restructuring process and improving performance through executive leadership coaching. I believe that who you are meant to be, you already know. It’s inherent in you but you’ve got to find out what you’re good at and what you enjoy doing by engaging your abilities. Then master a skill born out of your talent; what you’re good at and what comes easy to you and frame a career or entrepreneurial path around that skill or knowledge area.


Can you tell us what gave birth to the True Living Conference?

It was four years ago, few months before my passing out ceremony in Nasarawa state. We were going to pass out in few months. As I laid on my single mattress alone in the Nigeria Christian Corpers Fellowship (NCCF) family house where I resided. I just began to think, what’s going to be the next thing for all the corpers who were going to be leaving their primary state of assignment soon. In the process, I started conversing with God and I received the instruction, ’Bring people together’. I was like okay and asked further how and that’s when everything started to fall in place, I received the inspiration for the theme and the next morning, the theme I received was the subject theme of my personal devotion ‘The future that I see’ and then I realised that God was in this. I didn’t have so much money to organise it then, so I had to do a book exhibition for a week in my place of primary assignment and at subsequent corpers’ gatherings to sell my new book to raise money to fund the event. Also got a team together who contributed to the success of the event. It was my first ever official event, apart from my book launch and it’s been four years after, getting bigger than ever and impacting more lives.

Like seriously. Sometimes when I see it’s a new year, God actually reminds me, okay it’s time, start planning for TLC. The extreme favour and faithfulness I experience and feedback I get at every TLC leaves me with no doubt that this is not just a conference but a life-transforming opportunity for destiny fulfilment for young people. Its focus is on self-leadership, learning, inspiration and change; raising a new genre of leaders who live true to their essence and influence others to do the same.

What influenced your choice to study abroad?

I’ve always loved the idea of travelling, exploring new places, just stepping out into new and unusual paths and the feel of adventure. I had a diverse schooling experience, my primary education at Port Harcourt, secondary education and graduate degree at Benin City and Lagos respectively. You also know how NYSC makes you experience uncharted waters, as I served in the Northern Part of Nigeria. So it was quite obvious that I had to explore another interesting place on the world map. Ok, but most importantly I wanted more exposure and the opportunity to learn in a world-class institution within a considerable period of time.


As a vocal activist, would you ever get involve in politics?

Hmm… I’m not really a fan of politics, but I would say, politics gives you a platform to influence policies, serve people and communities profoundly because of the vested power and resources that come with the opportunity. But at the end of the day, you’ll realize that there are different platforms for expression that one can use to influence lives and if the intent is to raise your voice for a particular cause or be of service to people, one can do that on a different platform and yet still make a mark and create positive change. I’m not certain politics is something I want to involve in, in the nearest future but my utmost interest and desire is to make an undeniable impact in the world with or without politics in the picture.


Plans for the future

My plan for the future is to keep planning ahead and taking actions towards the vision that God has laid in my heart. I have lots of amazing, adventurous and intriguing goals. As I act on my plans to achieving the goals, you’ll discover more about them. Ultimately for me, it is making God visible in all I do, building sustainable brands, being the best in my chosen career field, creating life-changing experiences for people, having a beautiful family, living out my dreams in an unstoppable way whilst helping and mentoring others along the way.
If you were stuck on an island, what three things must you have?

Aha! Frankly, if I was stuck on an island, I must have a notepad, my biro and my phone (with a Bible app). Everyone that’s close to me knows how much I love writing and writing don't necessarily have to be a book but writing things down. I can’t go out without a notepad and a biro and feel comfortable, for me, it’s going to be like I forgot something so important.


How do you spend your weekends?

Depending on the weekend, if I have a speaking engagement, event or a consulting job on Saturday, I usually would have to go for the event(s) or cater to the needs of my clients as the case applies. If I don’t, I spend my time reading, cooking delicious dishes and playing with my little nephew. Sometimes I go for a walk, visit friends and meet up with the youth group I lead. Most Saturdays, I also go out for personal evangelism, to share God’s story of love to people in the estate where I live.
On Sundays, I spend time with God; I have a personal prayer and study time after church. I also have my personal movie time on Sundays, for watching Christian movies whilst relaxing.


Mentors

My mentor is Tobe Nnadozie, Divisional Head, Innovation & Product at Heritage bank. Other people have also mentored me through their books and resources like Mensah Otabil, Paul Eneche to mention but a few.


Your inspiration

My inspiration is drawn from God and experiences in my life. Also, my desire to live an extraordinary life and to be more than I’ve ever dreamt that I will be, but most importantly to finish my course well and make God visible in all I do.

Favourite moment of your day?

Smiles…I try to make every moment of my day count with a grateful heart. But the favourite moment of my day is when I listen to my favourite songs while I’m driving or on my bed reading and thinking about things that interest me or just looking back at my life to count my blessings.


Advice to other young persons out there?
You’ve got to understand that God has given you life, time, gifts and opportunities. You shouldn’t live a life excusing yourself of living a fulfilling life. You have the responsibility to use and multiply what God has given to you. Most people go through life holding back. Don’t be a part of that statistic. Stop shortchanging yourself but go out there, be different, give it all it takes in serving God’s purpose for your life and make sure you love what you do and do what you love. If you feel you’re not good enough at what you love doing, though talented; take my advice. 

The only way to get better at what you love doing is to keep doing it. No matter what, don’t settle for less in life.


Thank you.

The end!


Onyinye Etoniru can be reached on any of her social media platforms below:Twitter and instagram :@trueonyinye 


Facebook : Onyinye Etoniru


YouTube : Onyinye Etoniru


Web site: www.truekolourshub.com


6 comments:

  1. Onyinye, your life is truly a reflection of God's grace and faithfulness. You're a generational influence indeed for His glory. Keep shining and greater heights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN. Thanks so much Lekan. You're appreciated. Thank God for His grace.

      Delete
  2. I truly love this woman of God, a pacesetter, pathfinder and trail blazer of our generation. You are truly a role model to young women. ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up. A true inspiration to many.God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN. Thanks dear. I sure will by God's grace. I appreciate you.

      Delete